Youth Mental Health First Aider
This two day course qualifies you as a Youth Mental Health First Aider, giving you:
- An in-depth understanding of young people’s mental health and factors that affect well-being
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to reassure and support a young person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help a young person recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s through self-help sites, their place of learning, the NHS, or a mix – engaging with parents, carers and external agencies where appropriate
- Ability to support a young person with a long term mental health issue or disability to thrive
- Tools to look after your own mental well-being
- Two day face to face course across four manageable sessions
- Each session is built around a Youth Mental Health First Aid action plan
- Learning takes place through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities
- We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn
What will I learn?
- About mental health
- Risk factors for mental ill health
- Protective factors for mental health
- Preventing mental health issues and promoting well- being
- Topics included within the Youth MHFA course include:
Depression - Anxiety - Suicide - Psychosis - Self-harm - Eating disorders
What do I get to take away?
Everyone who completes the course gets:
- A certificate of attendance to say you are a Youth Mental Health First Aider
- A Youth MHFA manual to refer to whenever you need it
- A workbook including some helpful tools to support your own mental health
How do I book?
We are currently not taking bookings for this course, due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. This will be updated as soon as it is safe to do so, thank you for your understanding.
For further information, or to register your interest in becoming a Youth Mental Health First Aider, please click here.
“This course gave me a very good overall insight into young people's mental health. It was delivered very well by a very knowledgeable instructor. The course was well structured and encouraged interaction from all who attended.”